Monday 3 October 2016

Genre

This is an extra post to quickly go through the genre which I have chosen; to avoid overflowing the target audience post. 

I see genre as an important factor here, therefore have added genre to my list. 

However; with such a broad spectrum of comedy, I'm going to list the sub-genres, and go with a specific one. Therefore making it a lot easier to work with. 

As I've mentioned already in my target audience page, the chosen genre for the preliminary task is comedy; as it is a simple genre to complete, and little to no work is needed. 

Sub-genres

  • Comedy of manners

Comedy of manners generally mocks the portrayal of behaviour in a particular social group.

  • Slapstick films

This is a type of comical acting where the actors behave in silly ways, such as throwing things or falling over.

  • Fish out of water comedy

Entails a character being outside of their normal environment.

  • Parody or spoof film

A humorous imitation of something, typically another film or particular genre.

  • Dark comedy

This is a style that makes light of themes that are generally considered serious; usually controversial.

  • Gross out films

These sorts of films are usually very offensive; and generally for younger audiences.

Genre Hybrids

  • Action comedy

  1. Cop Out
  2. Kingsman
  3. Hancock
  4. 22 Jump Street
  5. Men in Black

  • Comedy horror

  1. Shaun of the Dead
  2. Gremlins
  3. Zombieland
  4. Scary Movie
  5. Beetlejuice

  • Comedy thriller

  1. Kindergarten Cop
  2. Charade
  3. Bride of Chucky
  4. Knight and Day
  5. The Cable Guy

  • Fantasy comedy

  1. Groudhog Day
  2. Being John Malkovich
  3. Big
  4. Liar Liar
  5. 13 Going on 30

  • Comic sci-fi

  1. Galaxy Quest
  2. Paul
  3. Short Circuit
  4. Gardens of the Galaxy
  5. Flubber

  • Romantic comedy

  1. Love Actually
  2. 10 Things I Hate About You
  3. Knocked Up
  4. Pretty Woman
  5. Bridget Jones's Diary

Now that I have a basic idea of the main sub genres and genre hybrids; I can decide on whichever seems to work the most for my final piece of footage. With the basic idea already in my mind, it won't be too difficult to decide on a specific sub genre/genre hybrid.

It seems as if 'fish-out-of-water' comedy would be my best option here; as the character is partly being put in an environment they're not used to. At least; with the interrogation taking place in the middle of a field, this will work for the specific scene.

In the end, the best mix of sub-genres for this to fit into would be a slap-stick fish-out-of-water comedy. Now that I have a very specific genre chosen, the target audience, both secondary and primary will be easier to figure out.

I'd also like to quickly note that action may be a genre for this to have a hybrid with; as I analysed Cop Out, which was a Action/Comedy movie, and I'll have a general better idea of how to go about this specifically.

1 comment: